Background
Founded in 1890 as the Riley Cycle Company, the Coventry based firm would soon shift its focus towards the nascent motorcar. The founder’s son, Percy Riley, began to dabble with motorcars as early as 1898. By 1913 Percy was joined by three of his brothers to focus solely on car manufacture and the family firm became Riley (Coventry) Limited. Seemingly unable to achieve the economies of scale required to compete effectively, Riley would fall into administration in early 1938. One of the biggest of big beasts of the pre-war British motor industry would glide by like hungry shark and snap up Riley wholesale. William Morris, Lord Nuffield would pay £143,000 to add Riley to his Nuffield Organisation conglomerate. Almost immediately Lord Nuffield would transfer ownership of Riley to his Morris Motors firm for a nominal £100 consideration.
Under the new Nuffield regime, the Riley drawing office would soon start work on a new luxury saloon. The outbreak of the Second World War, however, inevitably put developments on hold as British industry pivoted to support the war effort. Like much else in heavily targeted Coventry, the Riley works, drawing office and even the new car’s body jigs would be destroyed by Luftwaffe bombing. As a result a new body would be designed from scratch and the so called “New Riley Twelve” would be launched in August 1945 and official be designated as the Riley 1½ Litre Saloon.
The new Riley 1½ Litre Saloon featured a sleek four door body, with seating for five people. It was fitted with a 4-cylinder 1,496cc engine of a tried and tested Riley crossflow, high twin-cam design, driving through a 4-speed gearbox and torque-tube axle, with 16” wheels. The low-slung coach-built body sported a “leather top” roof covering, a split windscreen with opening panes and comfortable leather seating. The saloon launched with a £710 retail price and was soon competing fiercely with its contemporaries. Between 1945 and 1949 the Riley 1½ Litre Saloon was produced at the firm’s Foleshill factory in Coventry. After 6,374 cars were produced, however, production would be transferred to the Nuffield Organisation’s MG factory in Abingdon. A further 4,128 units would be produced alongside MGs of the period before being discontinued in 1952. Retrospectively, with the arrival of its RME successor, the Riley 1½ Litre Saloon would become known as the “RMA.”








